Monday 4 February 2013

Elements of Design - Points

Exercise - Multiple points (6 photographs)

The previous two exercises dealt with a single point, then two points in the frame. This exercise was to demonstrate what the effect several points have on an image.

Several points within an image can imply a network of lines and can also create a shape by implication.

To demonstrate this I was to set up my own still life, using between 6 -10 similar sized items. Then fixed the camera on a tripod, and take a series of photographs, The idea of placing the camera on a tripod is to control the composition by rearrangement, not by changing the framing of the camera.

I decided for this one I would set up a still life using a desk with my Nikon D300 fitted with a 18-50mm lens mounted on a tripod. I used some pebbles and shells I had collected from the beach.


In image 1,  I placed a pebble on its own on the desk, this pebble was unique as it had a heart shape ingrained in the stone. In post production I changed the images to black and white to give it a more bland appearance so that the pebbles would contrast nicely against the background. 

I then introduced several more pebbles and shells...........




Image 1



Image 2 


Image 3


Image 4


Image 5


Image 6

In image 2 & 3 the initial pebble was left in its original position however in 4 & 5 all the pebbles ere rearranged to try and create different shapes. 

In image 6 the final arrangement of the pebbles and shells create an implied line as shown by the red line, running around the stones in a horse shoe shape. The arrow shows motion from the top of the stones around to the bottom left to right as most view a photo in this way. But the arrow can be traced in the opposite direction from bottom to top.

No comments:

Post a Comment