Monday 25 November 2013

Assignment 4 - Applying Lighting Techniques

For this assignment I have had to draw on my knowledge I have gained during the last section on light. I found this particular section the most enjoyable of the course so far. I brought some studio lights some time ago and only used them once or twice, not that I didn't want you use them, it was the lack of knowledge that was stopping me. So being able to use them for this part of the course was a bonus for me. 

For this assignment I was required to take at least 8 photographs of the same object using the lighting techniques learnt during this section demonstrating:

Shape 
Form
Texture
Colour

The subject for this assignment had initially been one of my electric guitars. After trying several test shots I found that this subject would be problematical. Being blue and very shiny this was going to be a challenge that is for sure. However in the end, it was the size of it that was going to cause me the most problems in the limited space I had for the studio set up. 

In the end I chose a rusting one gallon fuel can that I have had for sometime in the garage. The size for one thing would be a lot more manageable. As you will see during the course of the assignment the shape, colour and texture of the fuel can would make this a good choice of subject. 

My temporary studio was set up in my garage. Apart from being very cold this time of year, it would give me the space needed to complete the assignment. 


I used my Nikon D300 fitted with a 18-70mm nikkor lens. The lighting was to be provided by two Nikon speed light, a SB900 and a SB600. In addition I used the studio lights, these are a twin set of interfit lights, with soft box and umbrella. 

Shape 


The first set up was to demonstrate shape. This quality has to do with the outline of the object, its edges. Therefore the best way to show this is to clearly contrast it to a background, a silhouette for instance. 

I used the two interfit studio lights set to 1/8 power pointing directly at the white backdrop behind the fuel can which was situated on the black plinth ahead of the lights. The camera was set on a tripod pointing slightly downwards towards the subject and set to a shutter speed of 1/250 sec and an aperture of f5.6 ISO 200

The resulting silhouette outlines the fuel can. There is no colour visible and very little surface detail.


For the second photograph to demonstrate shape I chose to use the two speed light flash guns to outline the fuel can. The speed lights were set up on either side of the subject, 90 degrees to the camera. The object of this set up was to outline the fuel can from either side whilst keeping the side of the can in darkness. The camera again was set on the tripod and set to a shutter speed of 1/250 and an aperture of f10. The speed lights were set to 1/80 power, as I wanted to illuminate the sides of the can with soft lighting. 

I used two black GOBO’s either side of the camera lens to prevent lens flare, that had been present on a previous attempt of this set up. 


As you can see both of these photographs show that shape can be demonstrated with these different types of lighting as the outline of the can is clearly visible.

Form


Form is another way of describing the volume of a subject, how 3 dimensional it looks. Using shadows or differing tones within the photograph is the best way to show depth. Lighting produces highlights and shadows, so its effect on tonal variation is obvious. 


For this photograph I set the studio lights either side of the subject. To the left the soft box was fitted and to the right the umbrella. My objective was to show gentle changes in tonal values, therefore showing depth and form. 


For the second photograph I moved the lights 90 degrees to the subject and raised them so that they were both looking down at 45 degrees. This has created more tonal variation. Even though the fuel can is shown on a flat photograph it has the impression of being 3 dimensional due to the shadows and highlights present within the image. 

Texture


Texture is a quality of the surface detail. A small light at a very low angel to the subject produces the contrasting highlights and shadows needed to reveal texture.

The fuel can has raised lettering on both sides of it. In this photograph I set one of the studio lights on the left of subject and removed the light box, as small light sources produce sharply defined shadows. 

As you can see with the small light it produces shadows on the lettering giving it texture. 


As the fuel can is old and rusting, I used this photograph to highlight the texture of the ageing metal. 

Again using the naked light as the small light it would produce the necessary highlights and shadow required. Taken from a low angle the light produces shadows on the surface of the top of the can. The threaded neck of the opening can clearly be seen with this set up.

Initially I lit this scene with just the naked light to the front. This caused the area behind the filler cap to be in darkness. Therefore I placed a diffused light behind at 90 degrees to the naked light. The soft light produced by this light produced enough light to show the outline of the far side of the can but not too much as to interfere with the highlights and shadows produced by the naked light. 

Colour


This set up was used to best show the colour of the fuel can. 

I set up one of the studio lights 1/2 metre to the left of the subject at the same level, no other fill in lights were used. Setting the light in this was has highlighted one end of the can and produces a deep colour. The viewer is not distracted by any other feature on the fuel can. 



The final photograph was an identical set up to the previous photograph apart from a gold reflector positioned 8cm to the right of the can. 
This has produced an orange glow to the side of the can. As the can is old and rusty this has given the side of the can a further older aged look to the viewer. 


Conclusion 

As this series of photographs demonstrate an ordinary fuel can can be made to look very different, depending on the lighting arrangement. 


I feel that this section has brought me on as a photographer more than any other section. I think that this is down to the fact most of the proceeding sections I have had varying levels of previous knowledge, whereas lighting especially studio lighting is a new area for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment