Monday 30 December 2013

The Photo Book

The Photography Book - Ian Jeffery 


During my time on the Art of Photography course I have researched several notable photographers and seen how there work has influenced the development of certain genres. 

I wanted to see if there was a book I could buy that could give me an insight to other great photographers and their work. As if by magic there is and I managed to get a copy of this little gem on a visit to Waterstones. 

The Photography Book in essence is an A-Z of the world's top 500 photographers. 

I really like this book, arranged alphabetically by photographer from pioneers such as Gustave Le Gray and Daguerre to Robert Capa and Henri Cartier-Bresson. Each page is devoted to one photographer and an example of their work. Each photograph is discussed in detail, bringing it to life and offering the reader an understanding of it. 

What I find particularly helpful is the simple system of cross referencing that offers access to other photographers working with a similar approach or using different means to capture the same subject. 

For anyone studying for this course I would say that this is a must have book, and for only £7.95 a bargain too! 

No comments:

Post a Comment