Sunday 12 January 2014

Juxtaposition

Exercise: Juxtaposition (1 Photograph)

Juxtaposition - The fact of two things being seen or placed close together with contrasting effect. 

For this exercise I had to choose either a still life photograph or a larger scale shot that involves choosing a viewpoint and lens focal length to demonstrate juxtaposition. I choose the former a still life. As the course notes suggest, using a still life set up, the lighting would ultimately be more controllable and I could take more time setting up and creating the exact shot I required. 

The brief for my photograph was to create a still life shot that would demonstrate the decline of vinyl LP records, cassette tapes and compact discs in favour of digital downloads. 

The title I choose for the book was to be 'Soundz'


The layout of the shot as can be seen above was to show the old LP's with 7" singles, cassette tapes and compact discs towards the rear of the photograph and the latest iPhone 5s in the foreground. New and old together. 

In preparation for the photograph I scoured my local charity shops to locate some old LP's and cassette tapes. In the past I have had a number of vinyl LP's in my record collection, but these have long since been lost. 

Having found a number of old LP's and cassettes and using some of my own compact discs I set the shot up in my studio. Using a black background, I set the items on the table and used a Nikon D300 fitted with a 18-50mm lens and on a tripod. 

Two studio lights were used either side, one fitted with a soft box and the other a reflective umbrella. 




The message in the photograph is the latest Apple iPhone 5s is the most up to date way of storing and listening to music. It is capable of storing all the albums and singles you would have had in your record collection in years gone by. For this reason the sales of LP's and cassettes have ceased and the sales of compact discs have declined over recent years in favour of digital media. 

Here is the original finished photograph, applied to the book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment